Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) is one of the largest universities in Germany. Thanks to its location in the Rhine-Main science region, the university can unfold its full potential and showcase its innovative power and dynamism. Its status as a comprehensive university allows for multidisciplinary learning and teaching alongside internationally renowned interdisciplinary research. Almost all of its institutes are located on a single campus close to Mainz city center – creating a lively academic culture for researchers, teaching staff, and students from every continent.
Department of Political Science at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Post-doctoral researcher in Political Economy
- You will advance your own research agenda in political economy with a focus on advanced industrialized countries, preferably in one of the following areas: growth regimes, business-government relations, corporate governance, financial market regulation, platform capitalism, Brexit, state finances and/or European economic and monetary union.
- You will design and teach your own courses (two per term) in political economy and grade the associated course work.
- You will supervise and assess Bachelor theses and contribute to the design of exams.
- You will contribute to grant applications for collaborative projects within your area of expertise.
- You will participate in academic self-administration.
Applicants must meet the recruitment requirements stipulated in § 57 of the Hochschulgesetz of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Required qualifications include
- a successfully completed university degree in Political Science, Sociology, or Economics
- a doctorate in a field relevant to the position (must be defended by the entry date)
- fluency in English
- motivation for excellence in research and teaching
- a clear research agenda
The following are advantageous:
- ability to teach in German
- positive teaching evaluations
- certified training in university-level teaching
- conference participation and other forms of engagement with the scientific community
- experience with grant applications
What we offer:
- three to six years of stability to advance your own research
- a friendly and collaborative work environment
- access to a wide range of professional development resources
- on-campus child-care facilities and other forms of family support
- flexible work time
- subsidized public transport throughout the Rhine-Main area
The position is paid according to EG 13 TV-L and is to be filled as of 01.04.2023, initially for three years. An extension of the appointment for up to three more years may be possible thereafter, depending on individual circumstances and contingent on satisfactory progress toward the qualification goals.
The purpose of the position is to enable the successful applicant to obtain the scientific qualifications (“Habilitation” or equivalent) required for a professorship in the German system of higher education.
JGU is a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome qualified applications from people of all backgrounds. Female researchers are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are committed to increasing the number of women in the scientific field and therefore have a special interest in applications from women.
Candidates with a severe disability and appropriate qualifications will be given priority.
Please combine all application materials (cover letter, cv, research agenda (2-3 pages), teaching evaluations and one writing sample (e.g. a dissertation chapter or journal article)) into a single pdf file and submit your application via the “apply now” button below. The deadline is 11.12.2022.
Should you have any queries regarding the vacancy, please contact Prof. Helen Callaghan, tel. +49 6131 39-27749, firstname.lastname@example.org